Sunday, 9 June 2019

Top 5 Reads of 2019... So Far!

Hey guys, today I wanted to share the books that are currently on my End of the Year longlist for best book. I've had a great reading year so far and here are some of my favourites in no particular order.



1) Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma


I loved this book because of it's controversial and taboo subject. This book focuses on a brother/sister relationship that becomes more than that, in short, it's about incest. However, this book does not push the idea of incest in a positive way and it certainly doesn't make light of it. The two main characters are being forced to act as pseudo-parents to their three younger siblings and they fall in love. It's a beautiful, sad and emotional story and it broke my heart. Overall, it's definitely in contention for one of the top books for me this year.


2) Cress by Marissa Meyer


Cress by Marissa Meyer is the third book in the Lunar Chronicles and so far my favourite of the three. This series is a set of loose fairytale retellings based around Cinder being a Cyborg and lots of other things. This story follows the two pairs from the previous two books, Scarlet, Wolf, Cinder and Kai but it now introduces Cress and Captain Thorne. I think Cress is so far my favourite character of the whole series so her book was probably destined to be the best for me. I cannot wait to read Winter soon and finally finish the series!


3) Caraval by Stephanie Garber


Caraval by Stephanie Garber was chosen for me on my BookTube channel as the book of the month that everyone wanted to read. I can honestly say I have never been happier! I adored this debut novel because it was completely unexpected. I had heard this compared to The Night Circus a lot and I was worried about the correlation. I think the only real similarity is there's a picture of a circus tent on the front! This book has wonderful characters and believable settings and I got stuck right into the fun. Wonderful book and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.


4) Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake


Another book I was surprised by was Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake. This is not typically a book that I would reach for instinctively. However, it was a pleasant surprise and this book has stuck with me since I read it. This follows three sisters who are princesses and in order for one of them to be crowned queen, she has to kill both of her sisters. Every character in this book serves a purpose and makes me care about them. It's fantastic and again another series I am looking forward to continuing!


5) Wonder by R. J. Palacio


Wonder is a beautiful story about a 10 year old boy names August Pullman who has a severe facial deformity. He has never been to a regular public school and in this book he starts one and it follows his journey of acceptance and dealing with people around him. It's such a wholesome story and one that will stay with me for years to come. Beautiful!


There you have it guys, that was my current favourite books of 2019 but it may all change! 
Until next time, happy reading!








No comments:

Post a Comment