Memoirs Of A Geisha
by Arthur Golden
Published by Vintage Books USA: September 1997
Paperback: 503 pages
Goodreads
Amazon
Star Rating: 4/5
Synopsis:
A literary sensation and runaway bestseller, this brilliant debut novel presents with seamless authenticity and exquisite lyricism the true confessions of one of Japan's most celebrated geisha.
In Memoirs of a Geisha, we enter a world where appearances are paramount; where a girl's virginity is auctioned to the highest bidder; where women are trained to beguile the most powerful men; and where love is scorned as illusion. It is a unique and triumphant work of fiction - at once romantic, erotic, suspenseful - and completely unforgettable.
My review:
In reading this synopsis, I have actually only just realised that this was a debut novel and for that I am even more amazed by it. This is a beautiful book and I am so glad that I read it. Having seen the movie a long time ago, I remember I enjoyed it but honestly didn't recall that much about it. I found a copy and got to reading.
Before going in to this book, you should know that it is a beefy reading experience. It's a long book and a tough read but for me, totally enjoyable! This follows Sayuri Nitta, who was one of the most famous geisha in Kyoto. It is told in an interview style talking about how she got to where she is and the things she witnessed and did along the way. She is such a wonderful character full of so much depth and charisma and I loved hearing her story.
When her and her sister were much younger, Sayuri is sold by her father to the geisha house where she has to learn to be a geisha. She soon learns all the different rituals and beauty secrets that the geisha have to take part in (resting their necks on wooden blocks when they sleep for example) and the social etiquette required to make them successful.
It is tough but the side characters make this book what it is. Even though many of them are unlikeable, I still felt deeply for them and connected to their stories so much. My favourite character was probably Pumpkin (I know, strange name) but I felt so strongly for her as she is trying her best but being manipulate by Mameha (who is so frustrating but I can't help but admire her despite that fact).
The reason I gave this book a four star rather than the full five was because of the fascination of the main character with the man named as the Chairman. The sexual/relationship part of this book wasn't the problem and I found it interesting to read about especially as I had a very prejudicial thought about geisha women as being very connected to prostitution which is not the case at all. However, Sayuri's obsession with the Chairman doesn't make sense at all to me when there is no reciprocation or enjoyment for her.
There is also a LOT of slow paced elements in this book and honestly I don't think it needed to be over 500 pages long.
NOTE: I didn't know this at the time of reading/rating but having looked into it some more, Arthur Golden has come under some fire for the historical/geisha inaccuracies in this book. In fact, I believe a geisha has herself written a book in response to Memoirs of a Geisha so although an enjoyable book, don't necessarily go into it looking for an accurate representation.
Overall, I really enjoyed this book and would love to rewatch the film sometime soon.
Until next time, happy reading!

No comments:
Post a Comment