Hey guys, there are so many YA books out there that I love but today I wanted to share five of my favourites! Happy reading!
1) Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
Although quite an unconventional YA book, Forbidden deals with the topic of incest. Maya and Lochan (16 and 17 years old respectively) have had to run their family home predominantly since their father walked out on them and their mother is constantly absent. The stresses and strains of looking after their younger siblings causes the two of them to rely more on each other and they start to fall in love.
This book is a tough read because you don't know whether to root for the relationship or not. The characters of all of the siblings and some side-characters are completely fleshed out and every step of the way is equal parts heartbreaking and moving. A great read about a very difficult topic and I would recommend to all.
2) The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling
This is a short story collection that is taken directly from the Harry Potter series. In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, there is a scene where Hermione reads one of the tales from this book as it gives the clue of the Deathly Hallows. J. K. Rowling wrote this book as an extension of a set of childhood stories that wizards get read to them as children.
If you're a fan of the Harry Potter series, this will be a wonderful read for you. There are five stories and then each of them has a note after them which is supposed to have been written by Dumbledore himself. It's a great addition and one I would suggest you read!
3) Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
Carry On is another book that is linked to a different book by the same author. I adored Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell so much and in that book, the main character writes fan fiction. This book is the fan fiction that she has written about the Simon Snow series (heavily influenced by Harry Potter). This is essentially about two roommates Baz and Simon; one who is the chosen one and the other is a vampire.
There is lots of great references in this book and I'm so excited that the sequel is out soon. I've been waiting a long time for it and I can't believe it's actually out now.
4) Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols
This is a book that I read in April 2018 and although it wasn't my favourite book ever, it has stuck with me. This book follows Meg who just wants to get away from her parents, her small town life and her high school. One night she takes part in a dare on a rail track and she gets in trouble with John, the local police officer.
This book has much more meaning than just a contemporary YA romance story; not that there's anything wrong with that of course. This talks about life and how to live it to the fullest. It's a great romance and even a little bit juicy at times.
5) Wonder by R. J. Palacio
Wonder is a beautiful story about August Pullman, a young boy born with a facial deformity who is about to start mainstream school for the first time. He has spent his childhood being stared at and comments being made about him. His new classmates struggle to get past his face and this book is the story.
This is such a wonderful story and so perfectly written and I could read about August all day. It's such a sweet read about a character you can't help but love. I need to watch the movie as soon as possible too!
These are some great YA books I have loved; let me know which you have enjoyed!
Until next time, happy reading!






No comments:
Post a Comment